Perimeter Pest Control in Cincinnati: Ultimate Guide
Perimeter pest control is the solution you probably need if you’re tired of dealing with pesky insects in your home, yard, and garden.
In this ultimate guide, I’ll cover everything you need to know, including what it is, how it works, the benefits of using it, and much more.
Table of Contents
- What is Perimeter Pest Control?
- The Importance of Perimeter Pest Control
- How Perimeter Pest Control Works
- Benefits of Perimeter Pest Control
- 6 Common Types of Pests in Cincinnati
- What Can I Do to Keep Out Pests?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Resources
- Need More Help?
What is Perimeter Pest Control?
Perimeter pest control is a method of pest prevention (mostly insects) that treats the exterior of a home or business. By creating a barrier, you can prevent pests from entering your living space. This keeps pests out and reduces the need for interior treatments which can be harmful to your family and pets.
The Importance of Perimeter Pest Control
Pests are not just a nuisance; they can also pose serious health risks to you and your family. Pests can carry harmful bacteria and viruses, which can lead to illnesses such as salmonella and Hantavirus. They can also cause structural damage to your home, which can be expensive to repair.
By implementing a perimeter pest control program, you can protect your home from the harmful effects of these destructive and annoying pests. Enjoy a safe and comfortable living space, free from the worry of infestations.
How Perimeter Pest Control Works
Perimeter pest control works by creating a barrier around your home that repels and eliminates pests. This barrier can be created using a variety of methods: sprays, granules, and bait stations.
The treatment is typically applied around the foundation of your home, windows, doors, and other entry points. As pests try to enter your home, they come into contact with the barrier and are either repelled or eliminated.
Benefits of Perimeter Pest Control
There are many benefits from managing pests around your property. Here are just a few:
- Effective Pest Prevention. By targeting the perimeter of your property, perimeter pest control is a highly effective way to prevent pests from entering your home.
- Reduced Use of Pesticides. Treatments can greatly reduce the need for pesticides inside your home, which can be harmful to your health and the environment.
- Long-Lasting Protection. Perimeter pest control treatments can provide long-lasting protection against pests, so you don’t have to worry about constantly reapplying treatments.
- Cost-Effective. Perimeter pest control — compared to traditional pest control methods — can be a more cost-effective solution in the long run.
6 Common Types of Pests in Cincinnati
- Spiders. The Brown Recluse and Black Widow are the most dangerous types of spiders in Cincinnati. Others are harmless but scary none-the-less, such as Grass Spiders, Barn Orb Weavers, Banded Sac Spiders, Wolf Spiders, and Crab Spiders.
- Ants. We’ve all probably experienced ants near our food. That’s one real good reason to keep them out. But they can damage your home too. And they spread rapidly. So it’s a good idea to put up a barrier that keeps them out of your house.
- Centipedes. Centipedes are my personal nightmare. Something about all those creepy crawly legs is unnatural and downright frightening. Centipedes can be found in basements, bathrooms, or wherever there is moisture.
- Silverfish. When we find holes in our clothing, we usually think moths first. But silverfish are often the culprit. These house pests eat paper, glue, and food and grain. They can be difficult to eliminate for good.
- Wasps. In the Cincinnati area, we have plenty of stinging wasps. We’ve all experienced the terror of a wasp getting inside our house. Not fun. Wasps come in a variety of types here, from the German Yellowjacket and Eastern Cicada Killer Wasp, to the Paper Wasp, Digger Wasp, and Potter Wasp.
- Beetles. Not many people are scared of beetles, but they sure cause plenty of damage to homes. They feed on our plants, damage wool and other fabrics, and even eat wood like floors and furniture. Keeping these pests controlled and out of the house is a good idea.
What Can I Do to Keep Out Pests?
Other steps should be taken to reduce the likelihood of insects entering your home, in addition to chemical sprays. Here are some tips for keeping out insects in the Cincinnati area:
- Seal Entry Points. Pests can enter your home through even the smallest cracks and crevices. Inspect the exterior of your home and seal any entry points with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Keep Your Yard Tidy. Pests thrive in cluttered, overgrown yards. Keep your yard tidy by regularly mowing your lawn, trimming bushes and trees, and removing any debris (dead or diseased plants) immediately.
- Eliminate Standing Water. Standing water is a breeding ground for pests such as mosquitoes. Remove any standing water around your home, including in gutters and bird baths. Prevent moisture buildup wherever you see it.
- Install Screens. Install screens on windows and doors to prevent pests from entering your home. Make sure to repair any damaged screens promptly.
- Trim Bushes and Trees. Keep tree limbs and shrubs trimmed away from the house. Branches and limbs touching the house create a natural bridge that insects can use to get on your house and gain entry into your home.
- Hire a Professional. A professional lawn care expert or pest control service can provide comprehensive perimeter pest control. They have the expertise and equipment needed to create a comprehensive barrier around your property. They can also provide ongoing treatments to ensure safe, long-lasting pest prevention.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, most perimeter pest control treatments are safe for children and pets as long as they are applied properly and allowed to dry completely before allowing them to enter the treated area. You should also discuss natural, organic solutions with your lawn care professional.
The frequency of treatments depends on several factors, including the severity of the pest problem, the type of pests being targeted, and the effectiveness of previous treatments.
Perimeter pest control is a highly effective way to prevent pests from entering your home and living spaces. By creating a barrier around your property, you can greatly reduce the need for pesticides inside your home, which can be harmful to your health and the environment.
Whether you choose to go the DIY route or hire a professional pest control company, perimeter pest control is a valuable investment in your home’s pest prevention strategy.
- Insect control programs page
- How often should I water my lawn?
- Everything to know about lawn maintenance
- Lawn mowing page
- Lawn fertilization page
- Get a free estimate form
Need More Help?
Need a pro to handle your perimeter pest control program? Just contact American Landscapes here for a free, no-obligation estimate. Or call us at (513) 947-8727.
You can learn more about our lawn care applications and treatments, landscaping, and outdoor lighting services by reading our blog. In addition to fertilizer and weed control, we provide mosquito control, lawn aeration, lawn seeding, and much more.